Monday, February 25, 2013

The Prodigal Son

Today is Carl's birthday.  Sometimes when I think about him, he reminds me of the parable "The Prodigal Son."  I'm not sure why because CJ is by no means prodigal.  But he is my son.

The parable is one of my favorites because it is about redemption and forgiveness.  It reminds me that sometimes I need to remove the anger and hate and jealousy in my heart that exist because such emotions are poisonous and toxic.  They deteriorate your health and looks.  Your hair will become gray faster.  You'll suffer from hypertension.  You can die early.  Rarely do I let such negative feelings take over, but when they do, I need to think about God, be a bigger person, turn the other cheek, take the high road, forgive.

I have made efforts in the past to reconcile relationships that otherwise would not have ever been reconciled.  Relationships with family are usually unconditional, and when the event of forgiveness happens, things can be restored back to the way they were.  However, relationships with non-family cannot be mended the same way.  Although I have forgiven people and they have forgiven me, they have faded into my past because the damage that was done could never be completely forgotten or repaired.  "Once bitten, twice shy..."

New people come into our lives, and we are tested again and again.  There are people in my past who are in my past because they chose that route. There are people in my past who are in my past because I chose to leave them.  Whether the situation is the former or the latter, I really hope that the prodigal son will return because I am ready to forgive.

No comments:

Post a Comment