Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Intense Days

The days that I run payroll are usually intense.  Today was not that different, but I have found that if I really spread my work out, it doesn't become as intense.  That is, I do most of the prep work in advance as much as I can when I can.

It was still intense, however, even though I had done much of the work last week and earlier this week.  I was waiting for information, and it was nearing the deadline.  Missing the deadline means that nobody gets paid.  That's quite the punishment.

I've been doing payroll for more than a decade.  It's not as easy as some people make it out to be.  It's not as automated as some people think it is.  Every payroll has a change, a nuance, new things to add.  Complexity is added in payroll just like complexity is added in the dynamics among personnel at a company as it grows.

To keep my sanity, I just roll with the punches.  In this case, I just "payroll" with the punches.  Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment