Thursday, July 18, 2013

One More Pound to Shed

I've lost 9 pounds.  Just one more to go.

I have not cheated this week.  I plan to cheat on Saturday though.  It's hard not to cheat on a Saturday.  I cheated last Saturday eating Mexican food at Palo Alto Sol with my new friend Bill.

The middle of July is one of my favorite times of the year because of the Obon Festival.  We usually go to the one held at the Buddhist Temple in Mountain View.  This has to be a cheat day for me because there is no way I will pass up shave ice, beef teriyaki and chicken teriyaki on skewers, sushi, donburi, spam musubi, corn on the cob, tempura, sake.  I know I can get this stuff at any Japanese restaurant or Hawaiian restaurant, but these foods seem to taste so much better at the Obon.  This is probably due to the atmosphere, the ambience.  It's a festival; there are games and prizes.  The kids love to play hoop-la, bingo, nickel and dime pitch, grab bag, tic-tac-toe, and fish bowl.

My family will be there.  CJ and his girlfriend will be there.  I might run into old friends, old classmates.  We grew up in Mountain View and have been going since we were kids attending Bubb Elementary School, Graham Junior High, and Mountain View High School.  I love the Obon.  There was only one year when I missed it, when I was living in New York City.

So one more pound to go.  It is the toughest one to shed, but I'm sure I'll do it even after stuffing my face at the Obon.  The Wharf to Wharf race is just around the corner, and I'll be ready - a whole 10 pounds lighter.  One more pound...

No comments:

Post a Comment