Saturday, July 27, 2013

Humanity Quivers

Sometimes I lose a little faith in humanity. When I witness a slight quivering, I usually see or hear about something that restores my faith.  I haven't yet since last week.

I was at Wal-Mart in Mountain View purchasing a couple of buckets for our beer bash.  As I was leaving, there was a cute little girl with curly blonde hair who walked out ahead of me.  She looked distressed, crying out for her mommy.  "What in the world?" I thought.  I slowed down and was about to stop to help her go back into the store and find her mom, but there were others who stepped in and asked her if she  was lost.  That was a relief.  The little girl was about 5.  Please parents, keep your little ones close to you!

Moments later, as I headed to my car in the parking lot, a lady in a mini-van cut me and my cart off to grab a parking spot.  She came so close to hitting my cart.  "What in the world?" I thought.  Why that spot?  There were so many other parking spots open.  Why was she in such a hurry or eager to grab it and risk hitting my cart?  Please people,exercise patience and wait for me to move past the open parking spot before you park, or go grab another one!

That was last Friday.  On Saturday, I went to the Apple Store in Palo Alto.  I usually park in the back of the CVS store, walk through CVS, and go to the Apple Store next door on University Avenue.  After purchasing my Apple stuff for work, I walked through the CVS store but stopped to buy a couple of birthday cards.  At the cashier, I was behind this lady who had her newborn with her.  The newborn was in a carrier on the conveyor belt and was crying with its eyes closed.  The lady was looking through her wallet and exclaimed, "Where the fuck is my ID?"

"What in the world?" I thought. You could tell she was stressed, probably from her baby's crying.  "Shut up!" she told her newborn.  "Holy cow, what in the world?" I thought.  The baby stopped crying for about 10 seconds, and then started again.  As the cashier processed her payment, she turned to her crying baby again and said, "Really? Really? Really?"

She then attempted to carry her baby and her bag of purchased items but couldn't.  I heard clanking in the bag.  She asked the cashier to double up on the paper bagging.  She didn't want to "drop the alcohol."  "What in the world?" I thought.  Another CVS employee offered to help her out.  Off they went. Good grief!  Please parents, don't yell at your newborn babies who are defenseless and have no clue.  They are precious and don't deserve your bad behavior. And remember, YOU brought them into this world.

Last week is a long time ago.  I'm still recovering from witnessing the alcohol lady with the newborn. Her behavior literally broke my heart for the baby. I hope that something restores my faith in humanity today or tomorrow.  I will be on the lookout.

No comments:

Post a Comment