Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Universal Language

I wrote a blog post previously on music.  And I won't stop there.  Who in the world does not like music?  It is such a wonderful form of art.  Whatever genre you prefer, set aside your biases and open up your mind and ears.  You will hear wonderful sounds and interpret messages and meanings.

Last night I went to see Bon Jovi in concert at the HP Pavilion.  Before going to the concert, when some folks heard I would be going, reactions were mixed.  Mostly, the reactions were, "Wow, really? I am so jealous." Then there are the kids.  "Who is Bon Jovi?"  Or the biased individuals.  "Rock 'N Roll, really?  Why?"

Tonight at the Shoreline Amphitheatre, which is located just down the street from Egnyte, Lady Antebellum performed.  I had a conversation with a co-worker about them and Country music.  In the past, I would react with, "Country music, really? Why?"  Not anymore.  As I have matured, I've learned to appreciate music, in any form.

My favorite type to listen to is '80s.  Back then, there were so many groups, such as Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Journey.  Rap groups like the Sugar Hill Gang were gaining popularity and momentum.  MTV was just developing, and music videos were so cool.  This music triggers high school memories for me.  I can even picture the fashion.  Life back then was becoming less innocent.

Before the '80s, I listened to Funk, Soul and R&B.  Groups like the Gap Band, the Stylistics, Heat Wave, Afrika Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force, and LTD remind me of elementary and junior high school.  My favorite is Earth Wind & Fire.  Bands with a horn section are awesome!  Tower of Power is a local band that still tours quite a bit these days.

What other types of music was I exposed to growing up here?  I remember watching the Lawrence Welk Show every week.  I also remember being an Elvis fan and watching all the Elvis movies.  I remember that my parents played Elvis music on the 8-track they owned.  He deserved to be crowned king.

That's as far as I can remember.  I can't particularly remember the music I was exposed to in the Philippines. I was too young.

Going forward, there was the '90s music through today.  I don't really listen to mainstream all that much.  I just bought the Justin Timberlake album mainly because he is such a great entertainer.  After going to the Bon Jovi concert last night, I am thinking about making a trip to Best Buy to check out some of their old albums and the most recent one released about 5 months ago.  Jon Bon Jovi cracked me up at the concert when he was on stage doing these funky dance moves.  While doing that, he said, "I'm not as pretty as Justin Bieber.  I can't dance like Justin Timberlake.  But I've been here longer than both of them combined!"  He looks terrific at 51.

I have learned to appreciate Jazz, Country, Heavy Metal, Opera, Classical, Rap, etc.  It's all beautiful.  I think you have to listen with your heart and feel the passion that went into creating the music.  The passion is really a message - whether it's a love song or a song that is anecdotal.  The music sends out this message to listen to, to feel, and to understand.  Even without lyrics, music can be understood. It truly is the universal language.

No comments:

Post a Comment