Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Peculiar

I found it particularly peculiar yesterday when I walked into the diner at the bowling alley to order some coffee.  I had lost a "coffee frame" last week, and so I had to buy the team coffee.

What was so peculiar about walking into a fairly cool diner that feels retro the moment you walk in?  Some random customer sitting with a companion eating dinner picked up his phone and snapped a picture of me.  I noticed he lit up when I walked in, but I thought it was peculiar that he would snap a photo of a complete stranger.

This happened to me once before that I can recall.  Years ago when I worked for the City of Palo Alto, I was at a crosswalk getting ready to cross the street.  I noticed a man smiling at me, and he picked up his camera and snapped a couple of pictures of me.  He smiled and I smiled back.  It was peculiar behavior back then too.

What possesses individuals to do this?  I really don't know whether to feel flattered or feel creeped out.  It's peculiar.

I thought I'd post this because nothing else peculiar happened today.  It was just another busy, crazy work day - nothing new.  Dull, dull, dull.  So sometimes I need to hold on to something peculiar.

No comments:

Post a Comment