Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Big Brother

Today is my oldest brother's birthday.  Domingo is his name, and what a great brother he was as we were growing up.  The fondest times I recall were when he would give us siblings money for Christmas.  That was a treat and something we looked forward to every Christmas.

I also remember the many times he took us to the movies, whether a drive-in or a walk-in.  The first movie I ever saw at a theater was Star Wars.  Back then, that was epic.  Our parents didn't take the time to do that for us because they were busy with their own entertainment indulgences.  That was fine though.  Having big brother take us was better.

We saw Star Wars at the Old Mill, which was located at San Antonio and California in Mountain View.  The Old Mill is now gone, and there is housing in its place (of course).

There used to be a drive-in movie theater on Shoreline by 101 in Mountain View.  Big brother took us there many times, and it was so fun to watch a movie that way.  It was replaced by an indoor theater complex long ago.  I saw Les Miserables there a few weeks back with my sister-in-law Lien.  It's also just down the street from where I work.  There are lots of memories in that particular area of quality time with my siblings.

Big brother also taught me how to drive.  He must have been a so-so teacher because I failed the first time I took the test.  Kidding aside, I fondly remember this because he took the time to teach me.  That was nice.

Growing up in an Asian family in the number 5 slot is not as burdensome as growing up in the number 1 slot.  I was number 5.  Big brother was number 1.  Right after high school, big brother went to work and gave all his pay to my parents.  We lived in poverty, and so this was an expectation as much as it was needed.  Big brother was a good son, in addition to being a good big brother.  He made sacrifices for the family.  He always encouraged and incentivized me to go to college.

We all eventually grew up, got married, started raising our own family.  I'm not as close to big brother as I used to be.  He lives a lifestyle different from mine, but we believe in God and we believe in prayer.  We both love karaoke.  We're really not that much different, although I might be a bit better off than big brother in terms of stress.  I will pray for him as I hope he is praying for me.

I am happy to see him posting on Facebook all about his fishing adventures and his karaoke and entertainment adventures.  To you big brother Domingo, I wish you a happy happy birthday.  May God bless you!  Love always, your little sister Yolanda.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment