Sunday, September 29, 2013

Keeping Up with Technology (the Joneses for All)

The tournament scheduled at Classic Bowl in Daly City got canceled.  I was bummed.  That left me with a huge gaping hole in my Saturday schedule.  So I spent it watching YouTube videos, specifically the CrimeDotTV channel.

CJ bought the Chromecast setup for me, and so now I can view on my TV anything on my laptop using the Chrome browser.  How snazzy is that?  Keeping up with technology is fun.  The next step I want to figure out is how to watch shows via the internet only and cut out cable.  Before, I was paying about $160 per month on cable/internet.  That's a ridiculous amount when I spend most of my time on my computer on the internet, at work, with family and friends, and so on.  The time I spent watching TV was not worth $160 per month.  You can lease a car for that much for God's sake!  So I changed to the basic cable/internet package at about $73 per month.  Even that seems expensive.

Next, I need to upgrade my phone.  I have a Samsung Charge, but it's over 2 years' old.  In technology terms, it's almost obsolete.  Applications run slowly.  I can't run Facebook on it (that's probably a good thing), and it crashes every once in awhile.  It's not worth the $132 per month that I pay.  That's expensive.  You can lease a car for that much for God's sake!  I probably don't need the heavy data plan, which I'll get rid of perhaps when I upgrade my phone.

Speaking of cars, I've decided that my next investment in a car will be all electric.  More technology.  Circumstances are changing so that now the question is "Why gas?"  I'll wait another couple of years to do this.  Keeping up with technology has its price, but it's fun.  I certainly love my Chromecast!

No comments:

Post a Comment