Monday, September 23, 2013

My Vietnamese Sister

I've been posting all year long about particular siblings around the occurrence of their birthdays.  I just realized that I must do one for my sister-in-law Lien because she's been in my life since I was in junior high.  We've grown very close to her, and I consider her my sister.

Sometimes first impressions can be incorrect.  At first, I didn't like Lien at all.  I can't point to or remember the reason why.  Maybe it was jealousy - she was stealing our brother from us.  Maybe it was because she seemed stuck up.  She barely spoke.  Maybe it was immaturity on my part.

When Lien and Zaldy married, it was a blur.  I'm sure I was dealing with adolescent and juvenile issues, while focusing on academics and taking the path toward higher education as an engineering hopeful.  I was fairly nerdy and geeky, and I dealt with self-conscious annoyances such as acne.  I also started to give into peer pressure.

Lien and Zaldy soon had Naomi, the very first grandchild in our family.  Then they had Junior.  I was aware of the ups and downs in their lives, and honestly I was stressed by the downs.  I still recall that I had a conversation with my brother in which I made it clear to him that I wasn't happy and didn't agree with how he was behaving.  Although I was younger, it seemed to me like immaturity on his part.

Let's fast forward a bit to the morning before my son CJ was born and right after my water broke.  I didn't know what was going on and what to do.  The first and only person I thought of calling was Lien.  I knew she would have the answer.  She said, "Get to the hospital right now!"

Let's fast forward to today.  We've had more good times than bad as far back as I can recall, such as traveling to other countries, states, cities.  Seeing the Indy 500 live for the first time.  Clubbing until the wee hours.  Celebrating Christmas.  Shopping at Paragon.  The journey continues, and Lien is there, just like she was there when I called her that morning.  We keep going.  I thought I was a strong woman, but I think Lien is stronger.  Despite having to deal with my brother (ha ha), Lien has been bootstrapping her own success.  She has worked very hard, and I am proud to have her as my sister-in-law.

Know this Lien.  I am so thankful that God has brought you to our family.  You've tamed my brother.  I am also thankful for the further blessings of Naomi and Junior.  You will soon be a grandma, and knowing you, your efforts will be tireless in being the best grandma possible -- just like you have been tireless in your efforts as a daughter, wife, daughter-in-law, mother, mother-in-law, sister, and sister-in-law.  I look forward to more adventures with you.  I love you very much!

Oh yeah.  I almost forgot.  Thank you for introducing us to delicious Vietnamese food.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment