Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Past

I was going down memory lane with my friend Maggie the other day.  We had dinner in Downtown Mountain View, and it's always a special occasion because we hardly see each other.  Our lives are that busy.  I've known Maggie for almost 25 years, since 1989, when I landed my first real job at Fujitsu America in San Jose.

Some of the things we reminisced about I remembered clearly.  Some other things were not as clear.  I wonder if I pick and choose what I remember and don't remember.  I have so many years of memories that I can probably sit for days on end writing and writing.

When I visit the past with my siblings, the same thing happens.  There are things I remember that they don't remember, and there are things I don't remember that they remember.  Why is that possible?  We grew up in the same household.

There is one thing I know for sure though regarding the past.  I don't dwell on it or in it.  I move on.  These days, I don't even remember what I did last week.  I just keep going.  The past becomes trivial to me.  I've lived through some tough and painful times, but I've learned from them and know not to repeat them.  I really shouldn't say the past is trivial, because it is important to learn from it.  But to me, after learning from it, it becomes trivial.  I just simply move on.

Visiting with Maggie and the past was fun.  We had a lot of laughs.  It certainly reminds me of how immature I was back then, how far I've come, and how much I am now enjoying my fabulous life!

No comments:

Post a Comment