Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Oversubscribed

Here I go again - oversubscribing.  I sign up for and commit to so many things that I don't have time to relax.  I'm restless anyway. I don't let the oversubscription stress me out though.

There are positives to overcommitting yourself.  The first is that you stay busy and stay out of trouble.  I've learned that relaxing and thinking too much can sometimes lead you to overanalyze a situation and go nuts.  Or it leads you to surf the internet and find disturbing things.  Or it leads you to pick up the phone and make unnecessary calls or send unnecessary text messages.

Overcommitting also means that you are spending time staying busy and most likely not spending a dime.  My overcommitments are dedicated to helping others for free or to making money.  In either case, I'm not spending money, and so this is a positive result of overcommitment.

Last week, I spent my extra time doing work for another start-up company.  This week I have meetings and deadlines galore. I also learned about help that a couple of other start-ups need, and I'm eager to jump in.  There is the side work that I do for another small company as a favor and for a small amount of money.

I still keep my bowling schedule.  I bowl in a couple of leagues during the week and sometimes bowl in tournaments over the weekend.  I've decided not to bowl in the summer, but I'm replacing that with cross fit and running.

I try to see my family and friends as much as possible, but there are limits.  I can spend time when it's scheduled in advance.  I try to spend as much time to and for myself.  When I do chores at home while watching my favorites television programs, I am at my most relaxed state.  It is my favorite time.  Maybe I should overcommit to doing that more often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment